Paradigm shifts modelling and innovative approaches
PASHMINA aims to better address global changes in a long term time perspective (2030-2050), by developing a new set of tools - models and indicators - with enhanced capabilities to take into account the interaction between the economy and the environment, paradigm shifts in the energy-transport-environment nexus and the land-use and territorial functions. The objectives of PASHMINA include:
- production of exploratory scenarios (qualitative storylines) of future global change options up to 2030 and 2050, complemented by a quantitative analysis of key development indicators (GDP, well being, etc.) undertaken by means of global long term meta-models;
- analysis of the consequences of the paradigm shifts in the energy-transport-environment nexus related to the urban functions such as housing, mobility and recreation;
- analysis of the possible paradigm shifts in the land use and territorial functions related to agriculture, forestry and more in general ecosystem services: e.g. biofuels, biodiversity, ecosystems metabolism;
- development of a new generation of global indicators and models, starting from already existing sustainability accounting and general equilibrium modelling frameworks and adapting these to make them (more) sensitive to paradigm shifts in the long-term perspective;
- pilot assessment of possible adaptation and mitigation strategies to tackle with different paradigm shifts, evaluating their trade-offs;
- comparative evaluation of the advancements in modelling tools achieved by PASHMINA, and to disseminate those in the scientific and stakeholders communities by means of innovative dissemination tools (virtual library, wiki-web tools, webGIS application) and other dissemination activities.